2014 Winnipeg Election Archive
IMPORTANT: The information below is from the 2014 Winnipeg Election.
Visit www.WinnipegElection.ca for Open Democracy Manitoba's latest Winnipeg Election voter resource.
Candidate in the 2014 Winnipeg - 3 School Ward race.
There are 1 recent news article that mention Lee Doerksen.
Learn how we decide what candidate information to list.
Why did you decide to run in the 2014 School Board Election?
Being involved in educational projects in Manitoba and around the world, I understand the importance of the role of the school board, and of the role of the school trustee. Trustees can promote a healthy school division, or they can thwart it. They are entrusted with our supports and our goals.
Recent concerns in our community regarding taxation, transparency, and policies against the interests of the community have all of our attentions. I believe in a trustee role that will represent our families and children. I bring the qualities required for such good service.
What experience will you bring to compliment your role as School Trustee?
- 18 years leading innovative teams advancing universal access and personalized education systems.
- Provincial award for innovation in special education.
- Board member of non-profit and charitable organizations.
- Volunteering with Dr. Jon Gerrard in our community (10 years)
- Coaching and convening our community and school basketball teams.
- Great realtionships with other community partners (CC's, Child Care, Health care providers)
What are some issues that you would like to stand for in your role as School Trustee, and why are these issues important to you?
- We know, watching the reports from Ontario, that 'all-day k/n' causes as many problems as it addresses. I believe in the strong community partner models being pursued in other provinces that achieve all the goods, plus support families to alleviate at-risk conditions in the home. With my plan, our costs and your taxes will not increase, yet our productivity and wellness certainly will.
- I can help change the culture of board secrecy by using well-worn ethical board techniques for transparency and accountability. I have studied ethics in politics and business extensively, with great role models.
- I will tirelessly promote the 'team game', turning WSD into the model citizen instead of the silo it has been turing into. I am dedicated to working with our community partners for a strong and results-driven new model.
What is one thing in particular that you appreciate about the school ward or school division you wish to represent?
Our ability to work as a team to tackle any problem, achieve the highest results.
Ward 3 is blessed with great minds and big hearts. With our new boundary system, the right trustee can unite us. United, we can shine as a light to the division, the city, and the province, showing the benefits inherent in working together.
Do you have any other comments regarding your candidacy?
I do not have the endorsement of the labour council, nor do I endorse their policies.
I am completely committed to advancing the aims of our families, the development of our children, and the health of our school division. I am proud of the support from the community for these beliefs, and I will strive to represent you well in all matters.
Learn about our questionnaire process.
News that Mentions Lee Doerksen
Monday, 22 September 2014
Here's one from Lee Doerksen, a candidate in Ward 3 of Winnipeg SD: "Charter Schools like Hitler Youth? Labour Council Trustee M. Wasyliw tweets link wp.me/p2odLa-8CT Why???" Start with the reference to Labour Council Trustee (in caps). No points for ...
See more news that mentions Lee Doerksen:
Displaying 1 news mention.